FIR filed against ‘unknown cops’ for Ramdev action

Raj Shekhar TNN

    New Delhi: More than two weeks after the Supreme Court asked Delhi Police to investigate the role of its officers in the brutal crackdown on Baba Ramdev’s supporters in June last year, the Central district police have finally registered a case against “unknown Delhi Police officers” for “acts endangering life or safety of others”.

     Cops would study TV footage of the late-night police action, including a lathicharge on Ramdev’s supporters at Ramlila Maidan, to ascertain culpability of specific police officers. Police said a few arrests were likely. The case may be transferred to the crime branch after a while.
Observers said the officers charged are likely to be scapegoats as the order for the crackdown came from the police brass and Commissioner B K Gupta was himself present at the spot that night.

     Asked why nobody has been named in the FIR despite officers being seen in the footage using lathis, a senior police officer said, “We will analyse everything, the footage and the circumstances in which the personnel turned violent. Those who are found…using excess force will be arrested”. Midnight raid: Cops to probe only lathicharge

      New Delhi:The SHO of Kamla Market police station is the “complainant” in the case, registered under section 336 of Indian Penal Code against “unknown Delhi Police officers” for “acts endangering life or safety of others”. These cops had broken up a sit-in by Baba Ramdev at the Ramlila Maidan last year.

       Sources said the investigations may be restricted to the lathicharge by cops and may not include the use of teargas shells, as the Supreme Court did not mention the latter in its order.

     Police commissioner Gupta is due to retire in June this year. The department has to file its report in three months’ time. Sources said they will be filing the report in the lower court.

      Police are already investigating a case in which supporters of Baba Ramdev were booked last year. Several supporters were arrested for damaging property and indulging in violence. After the Supreme Court directive last month, Commissioner Gupta had said, “We will abide by the Supreme Court order in letter and spirit. We will take action against those policemen who had used excessive force on protesters”.

     The court had slammed the police for acting in an arbitrary manner and using excessive force in evicting Ramdev and his followers from the Ramlila Grounds and had also pulled up the yoga guru for not cooperating with the police.

     The apex court had differentiated between policemen who had helped protesters move out of the venue and those who indulged in brickbatting and lathicharge.

FIR filed 4 days after assault on brothers

Dwaipayan Ghosh TNN

New Delhi: Police took four days to register a case against 10 men, who had bashed up two brothers at Satya Niketan on March 5. No arrests have been made so far even as the victims, Gaurav Sahni
(29) and Chaksu Sahni (20), claim that the attackers could be seen clearly on CCTV footage.
Police, however, claimed that it were the two brothers who had refused to lodge an FIR. “The SHO of the area said that initially the brothers did not want a case of hurt to be registered. The case was finally registered when they returned four days later. We have found that the CCTV footage, which we obtained from the RWA of Satya Niketan, is very hazy. The footage has been sent to technical experts for analysis. We are also collecting other technical evidence which we do not want to divulge now. Though no arrest has been made so far, we are hopeful of a breakthrough soon,” said Chhaya Sharma, DCP (south).
Gulshan Kumar Sahni, the father of the victims, told TOI that the cops woke up from slumber only after he approached the PMO, the home ministry, and the police commissioner’s office. He alleged that the FIR was deliberately put in milder words. Gaurav has sustained multiple injuries on his body, while Chaksu underwent a major nasal surgery at the Fortis Hospital in Saket.
Chaksu’s MLC report was done at Safdarjung Hospital. “He has two fractures on his nose and the operation lasted for several hours. Till I last checked him, he was still unconscious,” said Gulshan.

Gaurav and Chaksu (right)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: