Posted on March 24, 2012 by Yogurt
Posted on March 19, 2012 by Yogurt
Posted on March 19, 2012 by Yogurt
Posted on March 18, 2012 by Yogurt
FIR filed against ‘unknown cops’ for Ramdev action
Raj Shekhar TNN
New Delhi: More than two weeks after the Supreme Court asked Delhi Police to investigate the role of its officers in the brutal crackdown on Baba Ramdev’s supporters in June last year, the Central district police have finally registered a case against “unknown Delhi Police officers” for “acts endangering life or safety of others”.
Cops would study TV footage of the late-night police action, including a lathicharge on Ramdev’s supporters at Ramlila Maidan, to ascertain culpability of specific police officers. Police said a few arrests were likely. The case may be transferred to the crime branch after a while.
Observers said the officers charged are likely to be scapegoats as the order for the crackdown came from the police brass and Commissioner B K Gupta was himself present at the spot that night.
Asked why nobody has been named in the FIR despite officers being seen in the footage using lathis, a senior police officer said, “We will analyse everything, the footage and the circumstances in which the personnel turned violent. Those who are found…using excess force will be arrested”. Midnight raid: Cops to probe only lathicharge
New Delhi:The SHO of Kamla Market police station is the “complainant” in the case, registered under section 336 of Indian Penal Code against “unknown Delhi Police officers” for “acts endangering life or safety of others”. These cops had broken up a sit-in by Baba Ramdev at the Ramlila Maidan last year.
Sources said the investigations may be restricted to the lathicharge by cops and may not include the use of teargas shells, as the Supreme Court did not mention the latter in its order.
Police commissioner Gupta is due to retire in June this year. The department has to file its report in three months’ time. Sources said they will be filing the report in the lower court.
Police are already investigating a case in which supporters of Baba Ramdev were booked last year. Several supporters were arrested for damaging property and indulging in violence. After the Supreme Court directive last month, Commissioner Gupta had said, “We will abide by the Supreme Court order in letter and spirit. We will take action against those policemen who had used excessive force on protesters”.
The court had slammed the police for acting in an arbitrary manner and using excessive force in evicting Ramdev and his followers from the Ramlila Grounds and had also pulled up the yoga guru for not cooperating with the police.
The apex court had differentiated between policemen who had helped protesters move out of the venue and those who indulged in brickbatting and lathicharge.
FIR filed 4 days after assault on brothers
Dwaipayan Ghosh TNN
New Delhi: Police took four days to register a case against 10 men, who had bashed up two brothers at Satya Niketan on March 5. No arrests have been made so far even as the victims, Gaurav Sahni
(29) and Chaksu Sahni (20), claim that the attackers could be seen clearly on CCTV footage.
Police, however, claimed that it were the two brothers who had refused to lodge an FIR. “The SHO of the area said that initially the brothers did not want a case of hurt to be registered. The case was finally registered when they returned four days later. We have found that the CCTV footage, which we obtained from the RWA of Satya Niketan, is very hazy. The footage has been sent to technical experts for analysis. We are also collecting other technical evidence which we do not want to divulge now. Though no arrest has been made so far, we are hopeful of a breakthrough soon,” said Chhaya Sharma, DCP (south).
Gulshan Kumar Sahni, the father of the victims, told TOI that the cops woke up from slumber only after he approached the PMO, the home ministry, and the police commissioner’s office. He alleged that the FIR was deliberately put in milder words. Gaurav has sustained multiple injuries on his body, while Chaksu underwent a major nasal surgery at the Fortis Hospital in Saket.
Chaksu’s MLC report was done at Safdarjung Hospital. “He has two fractures on his nose and the operation lasted for several hours. Till I last checked him, he was still unconscious,” said Gulshan.
Gaurav and Chaksu (right)
Posted on March 18, 2012 by Yogurt
SCRAP THIS TRAP PART-III
Govt plans to choke city with 38 more botched BRTs
DIMTS Ready To Replicate Flawed Experiment
Govt Refuses To Allow People’s Participation In Decision-Making
Rumu Banerjee TNN
New Delhi:The Delhi government decided to rechristen the bus rapid transit (BRT) corridor as integrated transit corridor in 2011, perhaps hoping to erase the memory of the ordeal Delhiites undergo everyday on the Ambedkar Nagar-Moolchand BRT.
Unfortunately, that’s the only change it has brought about. Plans for 38 new corridors — 14 of which have been approved by Delhi government — clearly show the government is hell-bent on implementing a design that has already been panned by the city.
A case in point is the preliminary design for BRT corridors to be constructed by DIMTS (Delhi integrated multi-modal transit system). The agency, which operates and maintains the existing BRT, has been entrusted with six corridors. Despite the experience of running the Ambedkar Nagar BRT with its attendant jams and long-signal cycles, DIMTS opted to replicate the same design on corridors it will be building — central dedicated lane for buses, girded by the motor vehicle (MV) lanes on both sides.
The rest of the road, DIMTS officials say, will be retrofitted as per guidelines set by the umbrella traffic and transport agency, UTTIPEC. “The principle of the BRT at Ambedkar Nagar is sound. We only have to learn from our experience and design a better model for other corridors,” said a senior DIMTS official.
A better model, according to DIMTS, is a corridor that will have 15m set aside for the dedicated bus lane with 11m on either carriageway for MV lanes. On either side, a section of the road space measuring 10-11m will be devoted for the footpath, cycle and non-motor vehicle track. This is a typical cross-section on a 60m road, as suggested by UTTIPEC. On roads that are narrower, the lane width goes down correspondingly. But the segregated bus lane is not done away with, unless the road is narrower than 24m. That’s not all. The design also suggests separate parking zones for autorickshaws and Gramin Sewa on the road space in the corridor, aside from hawker zones near intersections. All this will be carved out in the existing road space.
BRT proponents say existing lane space for private vehicles will not be touched in the new corridors. “We will make more space on the road where possible,” a DIMTS official said. Considering the corridors are going through highly congested areas like ISBT Kashmere Gate, the airport intersection, Vikas Marg, Seelampur, Dilshad Garden, Azadpur, Shahdara, Mahipalpur and Gokulpuri, the idea may seem ludicrous. DIMTS claims that’s why it has opted for a ‘hybrid’ system — where the segregated bus lane may merge into mixed traffic on stretches that are too narrow.
Transport planning expert Prof P K Sarkar says, “The design as implemented at Ambedkar Nagar BRT is not optimum utilisation of space. The biggest problem is with the junction treatment in the BRT, where signal cycles are too long. Only if the bus lane is completely segregated at these junctions, perhaps made elevated, will the corridor work in Delhi.” According to Sarkar, any traffic-heavy junction where the bus lane is at grade with the MV lane will result in traffic jams. He dismisses the government’s proposal to reclaim road space in areas like the Yamuna riverside, by concretizing strips along the stretch. “Can that be done along all the roads in Delhi? Obviously not,” is the scathing retort. Sanjiv Sahai of DIMTS says the benefits of the BRT will be felt once the network is completed. But why wasn’t the network completed in the past four years since its inception? There are no answers.
That the government itself is confused about the project is apparent from the fact that the PWD, which has been asked to build the rest of the seven BRT corridors (with one to be built by the MCD), has no clue whether the BRT will be a central or side-dedicated bus lane. PWD officials say the design will be finalized by consultants. The PWD is still in the process of hiring them.
With a cost of Rs 15-20 crore per kilometre, the experimentation drive by the Delhi government on the BRT project that will cover over 300km raises several questions. Why is it insisting on extending the corridor when the existing one still doesn’t function properly?
In a city with shrinking road space, rampant encroachment, lax enforcement, why is the government relying on a system that can only tackle moderate traffic flow? The government’s refusal to allow public participation in the decision process has only mired the project in more controversy. But is the government listening?
( C o n c l u d e d )
CORRIDOR OF CHAOS
In 2011, Delhi govt gives nod to 14 more BRT corridors . BRT now called integrated transit corridor .Corridor will now be built by land-owning agency
DIMTS, PWD & MCD are selected agencies .Corridors cut through congested areas like
ISBT Kashmere Gate, IGI intersection, Gokulpuri, Dilshad Garden, Karkari More, Sarai Kale Khan-Jor Bagh (via Barapullah), Connaught Place
LESSONS LEARNT: NONE
Design chosen by DIMTS same as Ambedkar Nagar-Delhi Gate BRT
Dedicated bus lane to be at centre
Bus stations to be staggered, bus stops on either side of lane
Rest of road to be retrofitted with footpath, cycle track, kerbing of central dedicated lane
Pedestrian crossings near bus stations
Bus priority at minor junctions
CHANGES SUGGESTED IN NEW ITC Follow guidelines for streetdesign laid down by UTTIPEC
Corridor not to eat into existing vehicle space/ road space
Will have parking zones for autos and Gramin Sewa on corridor
Hawker zone near intersections
Higher parking charges
for vehicles in corridor
Grade separators at major junctions
Ban on turns
STATUS OF PROJECT
DIMTS ready with initial project report of six corridors
PWD yet to hire consultants. Once hired, design will be chosen for corridors
CM called for review of BRT project
Posted on March 18, 2012 by Yogurt